Disused railway station in Hampshire, England
Whitchurch Town railway station was a station on the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway in England. It served the city of Whitchurch, Hampshire, between 1885 and 1960.
The Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway (DN&S) was opened in levels. The part between Enborne Junction (to the west of Newbury) and Winchester was formally opened on 1 May 1885, public companies starting on 4 May; among the many unique stations was one named Whitchurch. It was 12 miles 57 chains (20.5 km) from Enborne Junction, and 31 miles 64 chains (51.2 km) from Didcot.
Whitchurch was already served by one railway station on the LSWR which survives to at the present time. The DNSR had a alternative of connecting to the LSWR and constructing a station close by to assist interchange visitors. However, it determined to construct the station additional south, nearer to the city.
Accidents and incidents
- On 23 September 1954, a freight practice overran indicators and was derailed by entice factors.
- On 12 February 1960, a freight practice overran indicators and was derailed by entice factors.
The station was comparatively massive in comparison with others on this part of the road together with a bigger station constructing on the northbound platform and a subway to hyperlink the 2 platforms. There was additionally an extended passing loop and three sidings full with a big items shed. The station additionally boasted a water crane and water tower.
The DN&S was labored by the Great Western Railway (GWR), and on the 1923 Grouping, the DN&S was absorbed by the GWR. The GWR had different stations additionally named Whitchurch, and to differentiate them, most had been renamed: this one turned Whitchurch (Hants) on 1 July 1924.
Like different stations on the previous DN&S line, Whitchurch (Hants) station was closed quickly on 4 August 1942 in order that the road may very well be upgraded for wartime freight trains; it reopened on 8 March 1943.
Following the nationalisation of the railways in 1948, British Railways renamed the station Whitchurch Town on 26 September 1949, a reputation which it retained till closure to passengers on 7 March 1960. Goods companies continued, however these ceased as from 6 May 1963.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.CS1 maint: ref=harv (hyperlink)
- Conolly, W. Philip (January 1976). British Railways Pre-Grouping Atlas and Gazetteer (fifth ed.). Shepperton: Ian Allan. ISBN 0-7110-0320-3. EX/0176.CS1 maint: ref=harv (hyperlink)
- Judge, Colin W. (1984). An Historical Survey of the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway. Poole: Oxford Publishing Co. ISBN 0-86093-149-8.CS1 maint: ref=harv (hyperlink)
- Sands, T.B. (1971). The Didcot, Newbury & Southampton Railway. The Oakwood Library of Railway History. Lingfield: Oakwood Press. OL28.CS1 maint: ref=harv (hyperlink)
#Whitchurch #Town #railway #station