The Hamilton Bible (Berlin, Kupferstichkabinett 78 E 3) is a fourteenth-century illuminated manuscript Bible, commissioned by the Angevin court docket in Naples and illustrated by the workshop of Cristoforo Orimina round 1350.
It was a part of the Hamilton Collection of medieval manuscripts, shaped by Alexander Hamilton, tenth Duke of Hamilton, and bought by the Berlin State Library in 1884, and is presently held within the Kupferstichkabinett Berlin, with name quantity 78 E 3.
It has been recognized that the Bible open on the desk in Raphael’s Portrait of Leo X is the Hamilton Bible.
- Siegfried Baur, “State Library of Berlin”, translated by James H. Stam and Susan Reed, in International Dictionary of Library Histories, ed. David H. Stam, vol. 2 (Chicago and London, 2001), p. 714.
- Bernice F. Davidson, Raphael’s Bible (1985), p. 12.
- Helmut Böse, Die lateinischen Handschriften der Sammlung Hamilton zu Berlin (Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz, 1966), pp. 45-46
- A web page of the Hamilton Bible (black and white).